Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Vintage Goodies and a Pin Cushion...

Well, here is my first homedmade pin cushion and I have to say it was't as bad as I thought it would be. I am not that great at sewing but with a little help and guidance from my dad all went pretty well. Both of my parents are great at sewing. My dad earlier on in life actually wanted to be a shoemaker, he loved doing that but then ended up working at a SINGER sewing machine store repairing the machines.  He also taught women how to sew.  He currently owns his own upholstery business restoring the insides of old vintage cars.  This happened after many years of working for the city and having to retire earlier then he expected and being that he was such a work-a-holic had to do something instead of sitting around and so here he is. 

My mom on the other hand used to make some beautiful things.   I remember as a little girl watching her make clothes, to costumes, to doing very intricate things she made by hand and selling them at the local Hallmark store there in town where she later became very good friends with the owner of the store and ended up working there for many years later.  So with that little bit of information here are the latest pics...
 
 
With some vintage fabric and a little lace its amazing what one can make.  I wrapped some burlap around the cushion with some vintage cotton lace on top of that.  Used a felt rose with some Prima leaves that happened to compliment the fabric perfectly.  My mother happened to stumble accross these sweet little spools already wrapped with string and I just continued to add some seam binding, old keys, some buttons and some pins to complete my little work of art.  I hope I have the same success with future sewing....we shall see!
 
 
Another exciting thing to share is that my parents also seem to love vintage stuff as much as I do and my parents have had some of these items at their house for quite a while now and I just had to take them off their hands....:)
 
I talked my mother into parting with this beautiful old antique harvest table she had just sitting on her back porch.  This will eventually make its way into my crafting room as my new desk.  With a little help from dad and a little TLC we were able to fix her up a bit without taking away to much authenticity.  Which to me gives it so much character and history.
As you can see from the photo there are also some other vintage goodies and one being from my dad was this old 1920's Remington Standard typewriter.  I need to give it a little love but I think when I am finished she will look like a beauty.  I also acquired this vintage milk container that my mom gave me for Mother's Day that she found at an antique store where she lives. 
LOOOOVVEE IT!!
 
And lastly, a girlfriend of mine came accross this cabinet that she had to tourment me with.  I was hoping to find another one but was not successful, until she had told her daughter about it and she happened to find one for me online.  I don't believe it is anything vintage but I loved how it looked and had to have one and so here it is.  So I am very excited with my new goodies and had to share them with you. 
Have a great night!
 
 
 
 
 


4 comments:

  1. Oh My Gosh, Monique ... this pin cushion is darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, I think I'm thanking you twice but I appreciate the sweet comment. I really enjoyed making this and hope to make many more!

      Delete
  2. Your pincushion is divine! I've just now found your site, and I absolutely love everything you've done. I enjoyed reading about your parents--obvious they passed on their interest and talents to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Terri! I appreciate the feed back. I hope to be posting some new things very soon so I hope you will come back and visit! ;)

    ReplyDelete